Side Hall Colonial Sold $97,850 3 Bedroom 1 Bath 1,040 square feet
Victorian Sold $316,875 4 Bedroom, 3 Bath 2-car garage 2,586 Square Feet
Search Houses for Sale below:
Sub Area: 374
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Saratoga County Sub Area Map delineates sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
Victory Mills or Victory, New York is a village in eastern Saratoga County near the Hudson River. The population was 544 as of the 2000 census.
Demographics: There were 189 households as of the 2000 census. Ethnicity: 98% European, less than 2% African American, Asian, Native American, African, Hispanic or Latino, or other
History: The first residents of the area were Native Americans whose ancestors inhabited the region for 1,200 years. In this fertile valley they grew corn (maze), beans and squash. They supplemented their diets with wild fruits and berries in addition to hunting and fishing.
European residents to the area were mainly Dutch migrated from Albany circa 1691. The village was incorporated in 1849. The name refers to the victory of revolutionary forces over the British at the Battle of Saratoga October 1777. The U.S. Post Office lists the village as Victory Mills in order to avoid confusion with the Town of Victory in Cayuga County, New York
The British general John Burgoyne was defeated by Philip Schuyler and Horatio Gates of the Continental Army. After their defeat the British retreated back to the village where they surrendered marking the "turning point of the Revolution." The Battle of Bemis Heights victory convinced France to support the American cause for Independence (Spain would follow) adding essential men and material to the struggle.
The Fish Creek, a tributary of the Hudson River that runs through the village, provided abundant water power for the many mills that opened in the mid 1800's
The development and expansion of the mills coincided with the Potato Famine in Ireland. As a result, many Irish Catholic immigrants found work here.
In 1850, the cotton mill employed 160 men, 209 women, working at 12,500 spindles and 309 looms and produced over 1,800,000 yards of cotton cloth. By 1877, the company employed 700 and had a capacity of 26,000 spindles with annual production of 819,988 pounds, or 4,487,190 of yards of goods.
The name Victory Mills refers to the large textile mill built by the American Manufacturing Company in 1918. The mill operated until 1929 when the facility was moved to Alabama.
In addition to the Saratoga Monument (pictured at the top of the page) a monument commemorating the fallen of the Civil War was dedicated at the Prospect Hill Cemetery in 1904
The village had a strong sense of community, largely Irish Catholic. The Community House (below) was owned by the mill and used for numerous social and political events.
Education has always been of great importance to the village residents. In 1872 the four room brick school pictured below was built on Pine Street.
City Data for the Village of Victory Mills