Troy, New York Troy New York is located in eastern Rensselaer County, USA. Troy, along with Albany and Schenectady form the tri-city metropolitan area known as the Capital District or Region. Troy is home to 50,129 residents as of 2000. Troy's motto is Ilium fuit, Troja est, which indicates "Ilium was, Troy is".
Before Europeans made their home in the area it was populated by the Mahican Native Indian tribal group. There were at least two indigenous tribal villages housed within present-day city limits: the Panhooseck and Paanpack. In the mid 17 century the Dutch began sustained home and commercial building. The patroon Kiliaen van Rensselaer named the areas Pafraets Dael, for his mother. Sovereignty of the region passed to the British in 1664.
In 1707 Derick Van der Heyden established a farm and built his home near present-day the city center. In 1771 Abraham Lansing divided his farm in what is now Lansingburgh into real estate lots. This process was continued by his son Edward in 1787 and the new village given the name Vanderheyden.
The residents of Pafraets Dael voted to adopt the name of Troy in 1789. In 1791 Troy was incorporated as a township extending to the Vermont State line. Troy became an incorporated village in 1796 and established in 1816. Lansingburgh meanwhile remained a separate municipality that would not become a suburb of Troy until 1900. Even today, Lansingburgh retains an unique character.
Troy is often called "The Collar City" due to its past eminence in the garment and collar industry of the early Twentieth Century. In addition, Troy was once the home of a major iron and steel industry.
Troy is famous as the Home of Uncle Sam who is based on Samuel Wilson, who resided in Troy from 1789 until his death in 1854. Wilson and his brother owned and managed a meat packing business in Troy. They supplied a contractor, Elbert Anderson, for the federal government with beef, pork, whiskey and salt, which were sent to troops stationed nearby. Wilson, who also worked as an Army inspector, stamped on every barrel of goods he approved the letters, "US/EA." Following the death of Wilson, who was affectionately known as Uncle Sam, a legend began.
Dock workers joked that the "US" of "US/EA" stamped on inspected barrels stood for "Uncle Sam." Many of the men who worked in Troy and shipped the barrels became soldiers during the War of 1812, and ate the beef they had packed. They continued to spread the joke to other soldiers. The story grew until Uncle Sam and the United States became synonymous. In 1961, the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate unanimously passed a law which proclaimed that Samuel Wilson of Troy, New York, was the progenitor of the nation's symbol, Uncle Sam, and that Troy is the official home of Uncle Sam.
Rensselaer University, which later became Rensselaer Polytechnic Institution, was established in 1824 with financing from Stephen Van Rensselaer, a successor of the Patroon, Kiliaen. In addition, the Troy Female Seminary was established by Emma Willard on Second St. in 1821. In 1895 it was renamed The Emma Willard School and moved to its present home on Pawling Rd. in 1910.
The original Troy Female Seminary was reestablished as Russell Sage College in 1916 as a result of funds provided by Olivia S. Sage, the widow of financier Congressman Russell Sage.
As of the 2010 census, there were 50,130 people, 20,121 homes and 10,948 families living in the city. The population density was 4,840.1 per sq. mi. There were 23,474 housing units. The ethnic makeup of the city was 69% Caucasian, 16% African American, 4% Asian, 8% Hispanic or Latino.