Schuylerville is a town in Saratoga County, New York located in the northeast portion of the Town of Saratoga east of Saratoga Springs. It borders The Village of Victory
Demographics As of the 200 census, there were 1,388 people, 594 households, and 357 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,622.5 residents/sq. mi. There were 663 homes at an average density of 1,254/sq. mi. The ethnic heritage of the village was 96% White, 1% African American, 1% from other races, and 2% Hispanic or Latino.
The first residents of the area were Native Americans whose ancestors inhabited the region for 1,200 years. In this fertile valley they grew corn (maze), beans and squash. They supplemented their diets with wild fruits and berries in addition to hunting and fishing. There was a trail that connected their winter camps in the Mohawk Valley to the present hamlet of Fish House on the Sacandaga river.
European residents, mainly Dutch migrated from Albany circa 1691 calling the place Fort Saratoga. The first settlers included the Schuyler family for whom the town was named.
When war erupted in Europe between the French, Dutch, and the English conflict spread to the colonies engendering fighting between settlers or different nationalities. With the coming of peace in 1763 between France and England the area once more fostered settlement. Numerous homes and several mills were constructed including General Phillip Schuyler's flax mill in 1767 a first for the Colonies.
In September and October of 1777 the British general John Burgoyne was defeated in the Battles of Saratoga by Philip Schuyler and Horatio Gates of the Continental Army After their defeat, the British retreated back to the village, where they surrendered, marking the "turning point of the Revolution." The Battle of Bemis Heights victory convinced France to support the American cause for Independence (Spain would follow) adding essential men and material to the struggle. The village was incorporated in 1831 as Schuylerville.
Schuylerville residents were active in the Abolitionist movement as well as the Temperance and Women's Suffrage causes. The greater Schuylerville area had two anti-slavery organizations: the Quaker Springs Anti-Slavery Society, founded in 1836, and the Old Saratoga Anti-Slavery Society, founded in 1850.