Schaghticoke is a Town in Rensselaer County, New York located in the northeast portion the county. The town's western border is the Hudson River across from the City of Mechanicville. The Hoosic River and Tomhannock Creek converge at the Village of Schaghticoke.
Demographics As of the 2010 census, there were 7,680 people, 2,115 households, and 2,103 families residing in the town. The population density was 150 residents/sq. mi. There were 2,824 homes at an average density of 57/sq. mi. The ethnic heritage of the village was 96% White, 1% African American, 1% from other races, and 2% Hispanic or Latino.
The first residents of what would become the Town of Schaghticoke, New York were the Mohican tribe of Native Americans and later several tribes including the Schaghticokes who moved to the area to escape European settlement.
By 1668 a Dutch and English settlement was established as part of The Colony of New York and governed from Albany.
In 1975 Edmund Andros (Governor of the Colony of New York) planted a Tree of Welfare near the junction of the Hoosic River and Tomhannock Creek to symbolize the friendship between the Dutch, English, and the Native American tribes.
In the winter of 1675-1676, "King Philip"(Metacomet the anglicized name of the leader of the Wampanoag tribe,) and his warriors traveled west from the Indian War to drive Europeans from New England. In hopes of enlisting the aid of the local tribes against the colonists, Philip ambushed a hunting party to make it appear that they had been murdered by settlers. The plan backfired when one of the party escaped.
Subsequently, Andros organized the tribes and attacked Philip near the present day Knickerbocker Mansion.
Philip retreated to his ancestral home south of Providence, RI where he was killed on August 28, 1676.
Thus ended the bloodiest conflict between settlers and Native Americans in history. Half of all New England towns were attacked or destroyed. One in ten colonists was killed. King Philip and his allies were decimated.
After the American Revolution the town was officially organized by act of legislature in 1788. The town was a part of Albany County until 1791 when Rensselaer County was organized.
Communities such as Speigletown and Pleasantdale grew up near streams where water powered mills employed English and Irish immigrants, although most residents were farmers, growing crops used in the mills.
The new New York State government organized much of the state into towns by an act of Legislature in 1788. Schaghticoke was among those towns. Schaghticoke was part of Albany County until Rensselaer County was formed in 1791.
In 1867 the Village of Harts Falls was incorporated. By 1881 the name was changed to The Village of Schaghticoke.
Communities in the Town of Schaghticoke, NY
- East Schaghticoke Located south of Schaghticoke village.
- Grant Hollow Located hamlet northeast of Troy and Spiegletown.
- Hemstreet Park Located at the west town line at the Hudson River that is a suburb of Mechanicville.
- Melrose Located northeast of Grant Hollow
- Pleasantdale Located north of Troy, NY.
- Reynolds Located in the western part of the town.
- Schaghticoke the principal village.
- Schaghticoke Hill A hamlet south of Schaghticoke village on Route 40.
- Speigletown Located northeast of Troy, NY
- Valley Falls located in the town near Schaghticoke village.