Saratoga Springs, New York (also: Saratoga or just 'Toga) is a municipality in Saratoga Co. At last count (2000 census) the city had over 26,000 full-time residents in over 10,000 households occupying over 11,000 housing units on less thirty sq. mi. of prime real estate, a number that swells in August for the Flat Track Horse Racing Season. "Saratoga" is considered to be derived from Native American term for the mineral springs in the region that gives the city the name: "Spa City".
The first residents of Colonie were the Mohawk and Mahicans Woodland Native Americans of the Iroquois Nation who had lived in the area for a thousand years. The tribe engaging in hunting, fishing, and agriculture, growing maze (corn) squash, and beans to supplement their diet of game, fish, berries, roots, and bark.
The first residents of the area were the Mahican Native Americans of the Algonquian Nation who had lived in the area for a thousand years. The tribe engaging in hunting, fishing, and agriculture, growing maze (corn) squash, and beans to supplement their diet of game, fish, berries, roots, and bark. They were eventually pushed east by European settlement. They eventually became allied with other displaced Native Americans to become known as the Stockbridge Indians for the nearby town of Stockbridge, Massachusetts. The first European settlers built Fort Saratoga in 1691 as a safe haven for traders, trappers, and early settlers near the present hamlet of Schuylerville (called Saratoga at the time.) The first permanent residents made their homes in the area in the late 1700's.
The first mention of the "Springs" in relation to their healing properties was by William Johnson, an English military hero who was brought by Native Americans to the springs to help heal his war wounds. As as the area was settled its fame grew as a health resort. With the construction of the Saratoga and Schenectady Railroad the influx of visitors increased greatly. Doctor Simon Baruch encouraged continental style health spas which resulted in the construction of many elegant hotels--some still standing today.
In 1777 the famous Battle of Saratoga was fought 20 miles to the South East at Bemis Heights near Stillwater, NY. Know as the turning point of the Revolutionary War, forces from the Continental Army under generals Gates and Schuyler defeated the British under the command of general John Burgoyne
Saratoga Race Track was established in its current location in 1864 enhancing the city's reputation as a tourist destination.
In the 1960's the city reestablished itself as a popular destination with the construction of the Adirondack Northway Highway (I-87) and the Saratoga Performing Arts Center.
As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 81,592 with a total area of 60 sq. mi. 56 sq. mi. comprised of land and 4 sq. mi. of water.
The north town line borders Schenectady County, and Saratoga County, marked by the Mohawk River. The east town line is the border of Rensselaer County, marked by the Hudson River. The town lies near the junction of the Hudson and the Mohawk.