Delmar Sub Area: 153 Slingerlands 152 North Bethlehem 151 Clarksville 154
Other areas can be search by referencing the sub area list to the right of the sub area input box
help with search form
Delmar (Adamsville) Railroad Station 1907
Delmar Albany County, New York is a village in the northern part of the Town of Bethlehem adjacent to the City of Albany on the north across the Normans kill creek with a population of 16,918 for zip code 12054 which includes Clarksville, Slingerlands, and North Bethlehem. As of the 2000 census the population of the village Delmar alone was 8,292 and stable, although this figure is approximate since the boundaries of the village are somewhat nebulous.
As of the 2000 census the village was home to 3,421 households and 2,375 family residences for an average population density of 1,896/sq. mi. The village contains 3,502 housing units. The average family size is thee.
Ethnic diversity decent as of 2000 was 97% European, >1% African, <1% American, >1% Asian, >1% Hispanic.
The average family income as of 2000 was $83,225.
In 2005 CNN/Money Magazine voted the Delmar and its environs one of the "Best Places to Live" in America.
History: The first residents to build their homes in the locale settled on both sides the Normans Kill ravine. In 1805 a wooden bridge was built to carry the Delaware Turnpike toll road over the Normans Kill which was later replaced with an iron bridge (as pictured above). The hamlet was originally called Upper Hollow up stream from Lower Hollow later named Kenwood, a name still used today. The name Upper Hollow was changed to Normansville and eventually annexed to the Town of Bethlehem as part of Adamsville.
In 1836 Nathaniel Adams build his home in the area and in 1838 constructed a large hotel that still stands today (pictured above) in addition, he also donated an acre of land for The Dutch Reform Church, also still standing. As a result of the efforts of this early notable and leader the village was named Adamsville.
The Albany and Susquehanna Railroad established a rail station at Adams Street and Kenwood Avenue that was known as Delmar Station. In 1892 the residents petitioned to change the name of the post office to Delmar thus changing the name of the village officially.