Providence, New York is a town in western Saratoga County bordering Fulton County with an area of 45 square miles.
The first residents of the area were the Mohawk Native Americans. In this fertile valley they grew corn (maze), beans and squash. They supplemented their diets with wild fruits and berries in addition to hunting and fishing. There was a trail that connected their winter camps in the Mohawk Valley to the present hamlet of Fish House on the Sacandaga river.
The first residents of European decent arrived mid 1700's along the indian trail that would become Fish House Road. Sir William Johnson improved the trail to facilitate further settlement.
The first settlers to make their home in Providence carved small farms out of the wilderness. Nathaniel Wells and Seth Kellogg are said to have been the first settlers.
The town's dramatic landscape does not lend itself to farming as can be attested by the miles of stone walls found throughout the wooded areas, each a testament to decades of backbreaking labor and an abandoned farm as settlers moved westward to find better land.
Stone walls typically marked property boundaries and enclosed livestock. Fence Walkers were appointed by the town to inspect these fences to make sure they were in good condition and accurately market property boundaries in the belief that good fences make good neighbors.
Not all of the early settles moved away. Names like Armitage, Shaw, Craig, Barker, Sowle, Chase, Bills, and Packer are here today in the descendents of these early pioneers.
What Providence lacked in good farm land it made up in abundant hydro power. Water courses like the Kennyetto, Alder and Cadman Creeks; Frenchman’s Creek; and Hans Creek soon powered saw and grist mills.
In 1791 Saratoga County consisted of four large towns: Stillwater, Saratoga, Halfmoon, and Balls Town, as Ballston was originally known. The Town of Galway was subtracted from the Town of Ballston in 1792, in 1796 The Town of Providence was subtracted from Galway. Edinburg and Day were subtracted in 1801 to bring the town to it's present size.
The population was 1,841 as of the 2000 census. There were 666 households as of the 2000 census. Ethnicity: 98% European, less than 2% African American, Asian, Native American, African, Hispanic or Latino, or other
City Data for the Town of Providence
Hamlets in Providence
- Barkersville – Located in the south part of the town on CR 16
- Fayville – Located on the shore of Great Sacandaga Lake on CR 13 in the northwest part of town.
- Glenwild – Located in the northern part of the town, north of Barkersville, and inside the Adirondack Park.
- Green Corners – Located in the southeast part of the town, east of Hagedorns Mills.
- Hagedorns Mills – Located north of Whiteside Corners on CR 14.
- Shaw Corners – Located in the south part of the town on CR 16.
- Whiteside Mills – Located in the southwest part of the town.