Colonial Sold October 2014 $220,000 3 Bedroom 2 1/2 Bath 2-Car Garage 1,581 square feet
Colonial Sold October 2014 $231,900 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath 1-car garage 1,872 Square Feet
Search Houses for Sale below:
Sub Area: 314
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Saratoga County Sub Area Map delineates sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
Northumberland, New York is a town in northern Saratoga County with an area of 33 square miles. The population was 4,604 as of the 2000 census. It lies northeast of the City of Saratoga bordering the Hudson River on the east.
Demographics: There were 1,593 households as of the 2000 census. Ethnicity: 98% European, less than 2% African American, Asian, Native American, African, Hispanic or Latino, or other
History: The first residents of the area were the Mohican Native Americans. In this fertile valley where their boundaries met they grew corn (maze), beans and squash. They supplemented their diets with wild fruits and berries in addition to hunting and fishing. They had two villages in the town.
The first residents of European decent made their homes at Fort Miller. The fort was built by Colonel Miller in 1755 to command the Hudson River at this point. James Brisbin built his home near Fort Miller in 1765. Brisbin was of Scottish decent and so named the area for Northumberland in England on the Scottish border, the name meaning north border. Also in 1765 Hugh Munroe built a saw mill in Gansevoort. Being a Tory he fled to Canada during the Revolutionary War.
The hamlet of Gansevoort is named for General Peter Gansevoort. In 1775 along with General Richard Montgomery he led the ill-fated campaign in Canada. He was subsequently appointed Brigadier General of the State Militia in 1781
The hamlet of Bacon Hill was named for Ebenezer Bacon who came from Connecticut and settled there in 1794 opening the first frame tavern in town.
The Town of Northumberland was formed from the Town of Saratoga March 16, 1798. A part of Hadley was taken off in 1801, Moreau in 1805, and Wilton in 1818
The Champlain Canal opened in 1823. The hamlet of Northumberland lies on the canal in the southeast corner of the town.
The Delaware and Hudson arrived in 1834
Gansevoort Mansion (circa 1800-1813) was the home of Herman Gansevoort, son of General Peter Gansevoort
Gifford and Henry’s Store early 1900's
City Data for the Town of Northumberland
Hamlets in Northumberland