Colonial Sold December 2014 $356,000 4 Bedroom 4 Bath 2-car Garage 2,324 square feet
Custom Colonial Sold December 2014 $559,898 4 Bedroom, 4 Bath 4-car Garage 4,900 Square Feet
Search New Scotland, NY Houses for Sale below:
New Scotland, NY Sub Areas: North 162; Central 163; South 164
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Albany County Sub Area Map delineates New Scotland sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
New Scotland, New York is a town in central Albany County with an area of slightly more than 58 square miles and a population of 8,649 as of the 2010 census.
History: The Town of New Scotland was settled in 1660 on land that once comprised part of the Van Rensselaer Manor plus 69,000 acres purchased by Jan Hendrickse Van Baal from the Native American tribe known as the Mohawks.
The first recorded settlements were located around the Normans Kill creek by the La Grange and Koen families who later leased land to other settlers around 1700.
The first settler on the Onisquethau flats was Teunis Slingerland who immigrated from the Netherlands around 1600 and purchasing 10,000 acres from three tribes of Native Americans. Slingerlands built a dwelling and several mills in the area.
The present town boundaries were established in 1832 from the western section of the Town of Bethlehem
With the death of Stephen Van Rensselaer III in 1839 farmers who leased their lands from the Patroon rebelled against a system that denied private ownership in what became known as the Anti-Rent Wars or Helderberg War
The main village in the town is Voorheesville incorporated in 1870 at the crossing of Albany & Susquehanna Railroad and the New York, West Shore & Buffalo Railroad, both seeking a route around the Helderberg Escarpment and on to Western New York.
The village was named for Alonzo B. Voorhees an attorney for the railroad. The village became something of a tourist destination with the Friars Grove Hotel and the Harris House. (pictured below)
Next to the Grove Hotel was a brick oven bakery and up the street Mott's Cider Mill
The Vly Creek was dammed near the school to provide a swimming hole. The one room school house was razed in 1930 to build the present school
The Helderberg Escarpment lies along the town's western border. Below pictured is Indian Ladder trail which once served the Mohawk Indians as a route to the trading post run by Henry Hudson
Atop the Helderberg Escarpment is John Boyd Thatcher State Park named for the husband of Emma Treadwell Thatcher who donated the land in 1914 (pictured below and at the top of the page)
Here in 1777 Jacob Salsbury took refuge from settlers supporting the American Revolution in what became known as Tory Cave--Salsbury being a Tory loyal to the British Crown
Unionville is a hamlet on the eastern town border near the Bethlehem Town line
New Salem is a hamlet west of the hamlet of New Scotland
Clarksville is a hamlet in the southwest part of the town on State Route 443 (Delaware Turnpike) named for Adam A. Clark who came to the town in 1822
Feura Bush is a hamlet in the town on State Route 32 along the south Town of Bethlehem line. Originally the hamlet was called Moaksville for an early family and then named Jerusalem for the Jerusalem Reformed Church (pictured below)
Onesquethaw or Tarrytown a hamlet south of Clarksville Below the DeLong/Vanderbilt House 1807
New Scotland is a hamlet located south of the Village of Voorheesville Below the Presbyterian Church established in 1787
Wolf Hill a hamlet located on west town line