Split Ranch Sold January 2015 $254,500 4 Bedroom 3 Bath 2-Car Garage 2,246 square feet
Contemporary Colonial Sold February 2015 $266,000 4 Bedroom, 3 Bath 2-car garage 2,233 Square Feet
Search Houses for Sale below:
Sub Area: 381
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Saratoga County Sub Area Map delineates sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
Moreau, New York is a town in northern Saratoga County with an area of 44 square miles. The population was 13,826 as of the 2000 census.
Demographics: There were 5,128 households as of the 2000 census. Ethnicity: 95% European Origin, 3% African American, less than 2% Asian, Native American, African, Hispanic or Latino, or other
History: The first residents of the area were the Algonquian and the Haudenosaunee Native Americans. In this fertile valley where their boundaries met they grew corn (maze), beans and squash. They supplemented their diets with wild fruits and berries in addition to hunting and fishing.
The first residents of European decent were Elijah Parks and his sons near South Glens Falls in 1766. He built a the first saw mill in the town. Durring the struggle for American independance his son Elisha was mortally wounded by musket fire from Tories and Native Americans loyal to the King George of England.
Settlement continued with homes, saw and grist mills, and blacksmith shops established in this area of fertile lands, abundant forests, and plentiful water supplies. Able Crandall opened the first tavern in 1797. Hamilton built the first grist mill in circa 1800.
George Reynolds built the Reyonlds House (below) in 1800. It was a tavern on the stage coach route crunning from Saratoga Springs to Ft. Edward and Gansevoort to Moreau. The house was a meeting place for political and social groups and office town meetings were held in the dwelling. Until 20 years ago it was still occupied by a family member.
Early settlers established schools and churches; the earliest a Baptist Church in 1792
A narrow gauge railroad once linked downtown Saratoga Springs with The Balmoral Hotelon Mount McGregor near the present Grant Cottage State Historic Site 1897
Notable residents: Ulysses S. Grant wrote his memoirs in the last days of his life on McGregor Mountain
In 1825 after returning from exploring the Adirondacks and inspired by "these dark and silent caves" in the heart of the Hudson River, James Fenimore Cooper took pen in hand to write his most famous and beloved novel, The Last of the Mohicans. (above Cooper's Cave under the bridge that connects South Glens Falls with the City of Glens Falls)
City Data for the Town of Moreau
Hamlets in Moreau