Ranch Sold December 2014 $220,000 3 Bedroom 3 Bath 2-Car Garage 2,680 square feet on 1.07 acres
Colonial Sold December 2014 $117,50 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath 1-car garage 1,898 Square Feet
Search Houses for Sale below:
Sub Area: 391
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Saratoga County Sub Area Map delineates sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
Hadley, New York is a town in northern Saratoga County with an area of 41 square miles. The population was 1,972 as of the 2000 census.
Demographics: There were 730 households as of the 2000 census. Ethnicity: 98% European Origin, less than 2% African American, Asian, Native American, African, Hispanic or Latino, or other
History: The first residents of the area were the Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca Native Americans. In this fertile valley the tribes Bear, Turtle, and Wolf clans grew corn (maze), beans and squash. They supplemented their diets with wild fruits and berries in addition to hunting and fishing.
Phelps Bay at the juncture of the Sacandaga and Hudson Rivers was known as "Ti-o-sa-ron-da" or meeting of the waters
In 1767 Edward and Ebenezer Jessup received a land grant from King George for what now includes the towns of Corinth, Luzerne and Hadley. They built sawmills at "The Big Falls" on the Hudson and named it Jessup's Landing (now Corinth,NY).
in 1775 the brothers, staunch Tories, made plans to flee the wrath of American Revolutionaries. Legend has it that they buried their treasure near what is today known as Money Rock in Hadley.
In 1788 Richard Hilton arrived in Hadley and built his homes in the Conklingville area which was flooded by the creation of the Conklingville Dam.
Alexander Stewart settled on the bank of the Hudson in 1790
In 1878 Charles Rockwell started the Rockwell Falls Fiber Company. The Union Bag Dam was destroyed to build the Conklingville Dam. The mill (pictured above) was demolished in 1923.
|Hill Top House was built in the 1880’s by Myers VanZandt and his wife, Catherine Rockwell. It has been a sanitarium, the paper mill’s superintendent’s home, a funeral home, apartments and is now the well-known Saratoga Rose Inn and Restaurant.|
In 1865, the Adirondack Railway reached Hadley bringing tourism and transporting paper, woodenware products, timber, and leather from the mills. The railroad trestle bridge (above) over the Sacandaga River is adjacent to the Bow Bridge.
The historic bridge was restored in 2006 and is now open to traffic as a single lane bridge
The Great Sacandaga River which ran thought the southern portion of the town would often flood bringing destruction to downstate communities as far south as Albany, NY
In 1928 a dam was constructed just east of Conklingville. The project took two years to complete at a cost of $12 million. 10 bridges needed to be constructed. 12,000 homes either relocated or destroyed. 3,872 graves would be transburied to higher ground.
In 1930 the flood gates were closed and the Great Sacandaga Lake began to fill with 283 billion gallons for water.
City Data for the Town of Hadley