Custom Colonial Sold $497,000 4 Bedroom 2 1/2 Bath 3-Car Garage 3,686 square feet
Colonial Sold $377,000 4 Bedroom, 2 1/2 Bath 3,080 Square Feet on 1/2 acre
Search Houses for Sale below:
Guilderland Sub Areas are:140 Entire Town; 141 East of Thruway (Mckownville); 142 West of Thruway to & incl Route 155 (Westmere); 143 West of Rt. 155; 144 Altamont Village.
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Albany County Sub Area Map delineates sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
History: In 1629 the Town Guilderland New York was initially an area of Kiliaen van Rensselaer's Manor of Rensselaerswyck of the New Netherland colony. By the 1690's Dutch emigrants from Albany and Schenectady established farms along the Normans Kill. In 1712 a party of German settlers on their way to the Schoharie Valley gave the name to the Helderberg Escarpment (Hellebergh or bright and clear mountain) to the land between the Normans Kill and the escarpment, now much of the area of Guilderland. In 1734 a Lutheran dominie from Athens, New York gave the first known religious service. The first religious structure was a Dutch Reformed Church in 1750.
In 1795 Jan and Leonard de Neufville built a glass factory in what would become the hamlet of Hamilton. After local glass manufacturing became financially prohibitive a hat factory and a foundry would both occupy the site over the next 200 yrs. French's Mills, another hamlet founded on local industry would host textile mills powered by water mills on the falls on the Normans Kill near what is now Guilderland Center.
During the American Revolutionary War residents of the area were divided in their loyalties, the Patroon landowners supporting the revolution while many of the tenant farmers in opposition to their landlords remained loyal to the British Crown. Due largely to the rallying efforts of local clergy Loyalists became the minority and so conducted gorilla warfare raids on communities from their hideouts in Helderberg caves. A final decisive battle between Loyalists and the Schenectady Militia with the aid of the Rhode Island Continental Troops was fought near present day Guilderland Center. The victory of Revolutionary forces freed up the Rhode Island troops to march to the Battle of Saratoga five weeks later thus aiding the battle that was the turning point of the American Revolution.
After the Revolution Guilderland was a part of the town of Watervliet until its incorporation in 1803. The name, originally spelled Guilderlandt, was proposed by New York State Lieutenant-Governor and President of the Senate Jeremiah Van Rensselaer his family and many of the residents having emigrated from Gelderland, Netherlands. In 1871 lands west of present Magazine Street were annexed to Guilderland from Albany. In 1910 part of these lands would be returned to Albany resulting in the approximate present borders.
Geography: Guilderland comprises an area of 58.7 sq. mi. bordered by Schenectady County and the towns of Princetown and Rotterdam to the north, Albany to the east, New Scotland to the south and the town of Berne to the west.
Population as of the 2000 census indicates 32,687 residents in 13,421households at a density of 564 persons per sq. mi. The ethnic diversity of the town in 92% European ancestry, 3% African American, less then 1% Native American, 4% Asian, 1% Hispanic or Latina.
The median income for families as of the 2000 census was $68,473. Males had a median income of $48,744 while females had a median income of $34,768