NorthGreenbush sub-area 261, East Greenbush sub-area 262
Other areas of the Capital District listed to the right of the search input
help with search form
Have Reny fetch every house for sale real estate listing then emailed as they come on the market
Town of North Greenbush
Town of East Greenbush
East Greenbush is a town in southwest Rensselaer County New York on the Hudson River population 16,473 on 24.5 sq. miles as of 2010. Named Greenen Bosch by the Dutch meaning "pine woods" for the forests that covered the area.
As of the year 2000 there were 6,085 homes with 4,186 families living in the town. The ethnic diversity descent at the time was 94% European, 3% African, <1% North American, 2% Asian, <1% Hispanic
History: The first Europeans to make their homes in the area were tenants under the Patroon Kiliaen Van Rensselaer in 1630's building houses and a fort on Papscanee Island. In 1855 the town was incorporated as Clinton from the Town of Greenbush the remainder renamed as North Greenbush. In 1855 Clinton was renamed East Greenbush.
The community largely consists of high end houses and rural homes after ceding its southern industrial area to the City of Rensselaer in 1902. This area included Fort Crailo now an historic site.
The main roads are The Columbia Turnpike (Rt 9&20) originally The Boston Albany Turnpike of 1800 and Route 9J originally The Farmer's Turnpike.
North Greenbush is located adjacent to East Greenbush on its northern boundary. North Greenbush's population as of the year 2010 was 12,076 and occupied an area of 19 sq. miles of rolling hills and valleys with bluffs and ravines nearer the eastern banks of the Hudson River which forms the towns western boundary. The town has two main villages: Wynantskill and Defreestville.
History: North Greenbush like its neighbor East Greenbush was originally part of the Manor of Rensselaerwyck and Albany County prior to its incorporation in 1791. At the time, the town occupied the City of Troy the northern section of the City of Rensselaer where the first houses were constructed in the early 1620's in a village named Bath. Early homes were also believed to occupy the present sites of Wynantskill and Defreestville originally named Blooming Grove.
In the 1900's Snyder's Lake became a popular summer resort community.