Bungalow on 1.1 Acres Sold December 2014 $240,000 3 Bedroom 2 Bath 2-Car Garage 1,536 square feet
Newer Ranch on 5.62 Acres Sold December 2014 $185,000 3 Bedroom, 1 Bath 1,150 Square Feet
Search Houses for Sale below:
Sub Area: 362
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Saratoga County Sub Area Map delineates sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
Galway, New York is a town in western Saratoga County with an area of 67 square miles of which 45 square miles. The population is 3,589 as of the 2000 census.
History: The first residents of the area were the Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca Native Americans. In this fertile valley the tribes Bear, Turtle, and Wolf clans grew corn (maze), beans and squash. They supplemented their diets with wild fruits and berries in addition to hunting and fishing.
The first European settlers arrived from Scotland circa 1774. They built their homes near Donnan and Sacandaga Roads south of the Village of Galway. It was named for Galloway in Scotland but was erroneously recorded as Galway when the town was incorporated.
In 1792 the town was created from the Town of Ballston as New Galloway. In 1796 the Town of Providence was subtracted from the northern half.
Logging, farming, and milling were the main industries. The first store was opened in 1780 located south of the village.
The first church was founded in 1789 as the Second Baptist Church of Galway
The Joseph Henry Elementary School was named for Joseph Henry who made his home in the town. Henry invented the electromagnet and became the first Superintendent of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.
City Data for the Village of Galway
Hamlets and Communities: