Cape Cod Sold November 2014 $225,000 3 Bedroom 3 Bath 2-car Garage 2,100 square feet
Log Ranch on 7 acres Sold November 2014 $240,000 4 Bedroom, 2 Bath 2-car Garage 1,652 Square Feet
Search Houses for Sale below:
Sub Area: 170
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
Albany County Sub Area Map delineates sub areas exactly
Click here to let Reny fetch every real estate listing that matches your criteria (then updated immediately when a new matching listing comes on the market)
This is a free service without cost or obligation that provides the First Look at new listings
Coeymans, New York is a town in southeastern Albany County with an area of slightly more than 51 square miles and a population of 8,150 as of the 2010 census.
History: The town was founded and named for Barent Pieteres Koijemans (Anglicized to Coeymans) who arrived in the area from the Netherlands in 1639. He originally apprenticed at a grist mill owned by the Van Rensselaer family. In 1672 he purchased 120 square miles of land from the Katskill Native American tribes. The patent included the present towns of New Baltimore and Westerlo and extended from Coxsackie to Bethlehem along the Hudson River
Koijemans built his home and two grist mills at the mouth of the Coeymans Creek. His brother Lucas Pieterse Koijemans built a saw mill on the Hudson.
Barent Koijemans had five children: Andreas, Samuel, Pieter, Adriaentje, Jannetie and Geertie. Adriaentje married 28-year-old David Verplanck of Albany at the age of 51. They built the Coeyman's House in 1675 that still stands today
A straw paper mill was located on the Hannacroix (Hannacrois) creek south of the Coeymans site. Later brick making facilities would be built on the Onesquethaw Creek. These early commercial ventures utilizing hydropower established a tradition of industry that is maintained to this present day.
During the Revolutionary War lumber mills and ship yards flourished, adding to the region's industrial prominence.
In the 1700's brick making and stone quarrying became prominent in the area extending from the Hudson River inland to the hamlets of Coeyman's Hollow, Alcove, and Indian Fields (now covered by the waters of the Alcove Reservoir, the main water supply for the City of Albany)
Ice was harvested from the River to supply the area's early refrigeration
The Village of Ravena was incorporated in 1914. The name was changed to that adopted by the US Post office from Coeyman's Junction (formerly Coeymans Square) to avoid confusion with the Village of Coeymans (Coeymans Landing), the Town, and Coeyman's Hollow. The name is said to derive from the Ravine Mill or Raven Flour or the ravines on the western edge of the village.
Early transportation was by horse and wagon. In 1820 a stage line was established and a plank road built between Coeyman's Landing and Clarksville, in the Town of New Scotland.
The hamlet of Coeymans Hollow and Alcove are located along this route on what is now State Route 143
Above pictured is the Old School House Museum built in 1879 on the present State Route 143 in Coeymans Hollow
In 1864 the Saratoga and Hudson River Railroad connected the town to the City of Albany but the venture was unsuccessful and referred to as the "White Elephant Railroad" In 1883 the New York West Shore Buffalo Line completed to Coeymans Square (Now Ravena)
Coeymans located on the Hudson River east of the Village of Ravena
Aquetuck: located near the south town line
Callahans Corners located near the north boundary of the town
Keefers Corners located in the northwest portion of the town
Roah Hook located north of of the hamlet of Coeymans on the Hudson River