Brunswick, New York Brunswick, NY is located in western Rensselaer County, USA east of Troy, NY; south of Schaghticoke and Pittstown, north of Poestenkill and North Greenbush, and east of Grafton. The town covers and area of 44.5 square miles
The first residents of the area that would one day become the Town of Brunswick were the Mohican Native Americans who hunted the lush forests, fished the abundant rivers and streams like the Quckenkill and Poesten creeks where they grew Maze (corn), Squash and beans in the fertile soil of the valley floor.
The first European settlement in Brunswick occurred around 1713 at Hosek Road (sic) later Haynersville along the main road between Troy, Berlin and on to Bennington and Williamstown Vermont now State Route 7 (Hoosick Road).
The wars with Canada of 1711 and 1724 saw German Palatines, formerly living in Livingston Manor in what is now Sullivan County, settle in Brunswick after their discharge from the militia.
In the 1740s and 1750s, the Van Rensselaer Patroons gave land to the Gilead Lutherans to build a log church which was replaced about 1775 with a larger more elegant building.
During the Queen Anne's War of 1745 and 1754 the region was marked by frequent hostilities, causing some residents to flee back to Sullivan County to the south until peace returned to the area.
Peace also brought the first tavern in the area, owned by a John Tillman, followed by Hayner's Tavern in 1772, owned by Johannes Hayner, Jr. The village of Haynersville is named after this establishment.
The first store was opened by Conrad Hayner and Peter Loose at Tamarack, and the first grist mill was built by Johann Heinrich Gross, in 1772, on the Quackenkill
During the Revolutionary War the people of Brunswick suffered greatly from the conflict between Tories and Patriots. With the fortunes of war, families were split or had to flee persecution.
What was to become the Town of Brunswick was originally part of the Town of Troy until its incorporation on March 20, 1807. Brunswick was probably so named either in honor of one of the pioneer families of the town, the Braunschweigers, or from the nationality of some of the early German settlers many of whom came from Brunswick-Luneburg, Germany
The first town meetings were held at the house of Nathan Betts, a local innkeeper.
In the 19th Century many mills and factories sprung up along the banks of the Poesten in the area of Eagle Mills, which was named for the Eagle Flour Mill.
Today the town is mainly a bedroom community of the Albany, Troy, Schenectady Metro Area.
As of the 2010 census, there were 11,941 people, 4,613 homes and 3,266 families living in the town. The population density was 261 persons per sq. mi. There were 4,808 housing units. The ethnic makeup of the city was 97% Caucasian, 1% African American, 1% Asian and 1% Hispanic or Latino.