Bethlehem, New York is a town in Albany County south of the City of Albany covering an area of 50 square miles spanning a parcel approximately six miles wide adjacent to the Hudson River.
In 1609 Henry Hudson Sailed his ship the Halve Maen (Half Moon) up the river that was to bear his name to the site of the present day Henry Hudson Park.
Early settlers made their homes near the Normans Kill Creek in what was originally called Upper Hollow and later named Normansville which now forms the northern border with the City of Albany. The area was popular for the mills that used the creek for hydro power. In 1805 the Albany & Delaware Turnpike Company build a wooden bridge over the creek that was replaced by an iron bridge in 1900
In 1836 Nathaniel Adams build his home in the area and in 1838 constructed a large hotel that still stands today at the corner of Adams and Delaware Ave (pictured below). in addition, he donated one acre of land for The Dutch Reform Church, also still standing. As a result of the efforts of this early notable and leader the village was named Adamsville. The Albany and Susquehanna Railroad built a station at Adams St. and Kenwood Ave called Delmar Station. In 1892 the village residents petitioned changed the name of the post office to Delmar thereby officially changing the name of the village.
The population as of 2010 was 33,660 residents in 12,200 homes with a population density of 256 people per square mile. Ethnic Diversity Origins are 95% European, 2% African, <1% American, <2% Asian, <2% Hispanic. Average income was $63,250 in 2000.