Typical Home for Sale in Berne, NY
4 Bedroom, 2 Bath Colonial on 21 acres with 3-car garage, large pond and creek. Sold November 2014 $265,00
Latest Area Market Report: What homes are selling for today in Albany County
Search Berne New York Houses for Sale by Realty below:
Berne, NY Sub Area: 181
Search other areas of the Capital Region by sub areas from the link to the right of the input box.
help with search form
Albany County Sub Area Map
Let Reny fetch every house for sale real estate listing and email them as they are listed
This is a free service without cost or obligation
Berne, NY is a town in western Albany County with an area of 65 square miles and a population of 2,794 as of the 2010 census.
- Natural Areas:
- Partridge Run Wildlife Management Area: 4,594 acres of trails for cross-county skiing, snowshoeing, hunting and fishing.
- Cole Hill State Forest: trails, bird watching, cross-county skiing, snowshoeing, hunting, fishing and trapping.
- Thacher State Park campgrounds, swimming, picnicking, camping, trails.
- The Long Path hiking trail that runs from George Washington Bridge through Berne to Route 146 north of the Thacher Park.
- Thompson's Lake State Park on the north side of Thompson's Lake.
Hamlets and Communities:
- Berne – Originally called Bernville. The name was changed to Berne with the arrival of the US Postal Service circa 1880. The library is here with the Historical Society, the town hall, and the Berne-Knox-Westerlo Central School. It is the largest hamlet in the town.
- East Berne – On Rt 443 east of the hamlet of Berne. Businesses: gas station, realty, a restaurant or two, and the Helderberg Blue Stone Quarry
- Reidsville – located southeast part of the town.
- South Berne – located north of the town of Berne line.
- Thompsons Lake – Originally a summer community now mostly permanent residents.
- Warner's Lake – Also a former summer community when vacationers escaping the summer heat and humidity down state now mostly year round residents. The Hofbrau Restaurant is located on the eastern shore.
- West Berne – located east of the west Berne town line it was once called Mechanicsville and Peoria. At present it has a general store since the gas station closed.
Pictured above the covered bridge over the Fox Creek Falls
1795 the Town of Berne, NY was created from a section of the town of Rensselaerville. 1822 the north portion of the town was detached to form the town of Knox. The town was originally called Beaver Dam, then Bern. The present spelling Berne was adopted by the U.S Post Office when established in the middle of the 19th Century
1750 first settlers were Palatine German refugees. These early residents were technically squatters since the land was owned by the Van Rensselaer family as part of the Rensselaerswyck Patent
1781 the Dietz family massacre was the only Iroquois attack in the town during the American Revolution.
1839 Anti-Rent Wars. Following the death of Stephen Van Rensselaer III farmers petitioned New York State to provide ownership rights to lands they had occupied, often for generations without legal title, and now were being evicted from by the executors of the estate. The conflict was finally resolved in 1846 by Governor John Young who decreed that the tenants had legal rights of ownership as freeholders.